Yin Yoga is now a common practice by persons targeting deep tissues including ligaments, tendons and joints. This involves limited movements where a person stays in one position for an extended period of time, usually between 3 and 5 minutes. The poses involved work great for parts of the body with more connective including thighs, pelvis, spine and hips among others. Most of the poses involved are practiced when lying or sitting on the floor, and these are usually held for around three to five minutes. It is, therefore, important to wear comfortable clothing. As a beginner, you should not aim to hold the poses for long, but you should start with what you can handle without overstretching your limits. It will only be a matter of time before you start noticing some improvements.
The major benefits that you will enjoy when practicing Yin Yoga include:
1. Strengthening connective tissues: There are numerous functions associated with the body’s connective tissues with some good examples being promoting mobility, maintaining posture and promoting the proper function of blood vessels among others. By practicing Yin Yoga, you will be strengthening these tissues, and they will be performing their functions more efficiently. This will also help to reduce cases of injuries.
2. Improved energy flow: You can rely on Yin yoga to enhance the flow of energy through various body channels and this helps to boost the health functions of different organs. These exercises are also known for boosting the body’s immunity and slowing some signs of aging like wrinkles and receding vision among others.
3. Improved flexibility: Most people only come to learn of connective tissues after being involved in injuries like a blown out knee, strained spine and sprained ankles among others. Yin yoga helps to gently stretch the limits of tissues like tendons and joint ligaments, therefore, helping to improve flexibility in such areas. This means that your body will now be prepared for more challenging situations.
4. Reducing stress: Due to our current lifestyle, most of us are stressful which greatly affects our performance, feelings and even thoughts. These leads to health problems like hypertension, heart ailments and diabetes among others. You can reduce stress by practicing Yin Yoga since the deep exercises are known to calm the mind. This prepares the body to handle even more stressful situations.
5. Increased circulation: Poor blood and fluid circulation in the body can contribute to numbness and tingling in various parts like hands and toes among others. Holding some of the poses involved in Yin yoga will greatly help you to improve circulation in vital body organs like the spine and glands. This also promotes better flow of synovial fluids thus improving mobility in joints like knees and pelvis.
You should take the time to find reputable Yin yoga trainers to ensure that all poses involved are safe and that these are practiced the right way. This will help to enhance effectiveness and limit cases of injuries.